Friday, March 20, 2009

More of the same really...

So, I know I missed last week but hey, I'm only human.  Since I missed last week I'll give you two topics this week to make up for some lost ground.  First and foremost, if you are going to comment on this blog, please state who you are.  I am open to criticism, and I encourage it, but to give it under an anonymous alias is unfair.  Anyone can criticize anything without giving a name but it shows no backbone.  Now with that said, on to business.



Oh the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.  It can never be easy for them.  I really am starting to wonder if they love their fans or not.  They sign a decent-to-very good offensive line, bring in Brett the Jet and get nowhere.  This off season, they bring in some very good players in Bart Scott and Justin Leonhard on defense.  Only this time, they really don't have a quarterback.  I know some fans are saying that the Jets don't need a star quarterback because the defense this year will be lock down.  Since that is the feeling, games MUST proceed as follows: running the football for the majority of the game and the defense will have to keep opponents to 14 points or less EVERY GAME.  There really are two glaring problems, the previously mentioned QB issue and a lack of a number one receiver.  I wasn't shocked when Laveranues Coles was released. Coles wants to be paid as a number one wide receiver and he simply isn't. His age has finally caught up to him and was not the same after Pennington was released by the Jets.  Since the Jets got rid of Coles, you would think they would pursue a free agent receiver and look very hard at Percy Harvin or Jeremy Maclin in the first round.  Just be warned that pro corners and safeties will not respect rookie receivers.  I also expect the Jets to try to extend the contracts of Leon Washington and Nick Mangold, who are both coming off pro-bowl years.   I would be very disappointed if the Jets drafted USC QB Mark Sanchez.  This kid made the biggest mistake of his life leaving USC and Pete Carroll.  He is one the greatest minds in college football and runs a pro offensive scheme on his team.  And FYI to all fans in need of a head coach(Cowboys) he will never leave the college system.  Sanchez should have stayed at least 2 more years, the reason behind him leaving is greed.  I don't want to hear that he wants to help a team win.  He wants his money and is skipping the college portion of his life.  I feel that he did not have the vision to see that he would have been king of USC for the entire time he was there.  In the NFL if you don't make a splash, you get criticized to on end and then cast aside.  
And finally, the Jay Cutler saga seems to me like it is coming to an end.  I never thought the Jets would trade for him for one simple reason.  They did not have the pieces to acquire him.  Also, I have a gut feeling that he is not cut out for the microscope that his New York.  Here in the limelight of limelights, every move is talked about every possible second.  It also seems that rookie head coach Josh Mcdaniels wants to now patch things up and Cutler has agreed to meet with him.  I felt that Cutler acted very immature and this would make him even more undesirable because the Jets coach, Rex Ryan, is also a rookie.  If Cutler thinks that if he cries enough about something, he will get his way.  From what I've seen from Ryan, it doesn't seem like he is the one to take anything.  I think Rex Ryan will do a good job but time will tell.

Now to switch gears, since we are in the dead zone of the sports year, I will fall victim to the new New York stadium chatter.  As we all know, there are two very nice new stadiums being built in The Bronx and Queens.  Also, the subject of ticket pricing has been a hot topic in the recent months.  What most fans fail to realize is that the Mets and Yankees have set their prices and they will not change.  The only way to make the tickets go down in price was to boycott them from the beginning.  It would be impossible for either team to lower prices now because it is not fair for the people who have bought tickets regardless of price.  The amount of class action lawsuits would circle around the block 15 times over.  We all know the prices are insane but it is still a business and they are there to make money.  No one has the gun to our heads to go to games.  We as fans have to make the conscious decision to choose to go or not.  With the season just 2 weeks away, there are still great seats at not so great prices available. Lets see how much they can sell.

I've been obsessed with Battlestar Galactica, so I'll be keeping myself busy with that.

No comments: