Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Celebrate at you own risk...


Anyone who follows baseball remotely knows who Jose Reyes is.  And Met fans especially know his celebration tactics.  Sometimes it can be looked at as a great thing, others just tolerated.  But towards the end of last year, it was pretty much frowned upon.  
Now the question is, is this really bad for him and the team?  My answer is the kind that nobody likes but I think its good and bad.  I know most people want a one or the other answer, but this case is bigger than that.  Its a good thing because it is something that brings excitement to the game and to the team.  It can almost be seen as something that gives him his drive and what makes him go full speed.  Sometimes it is very entertaining to watch and makes the game of baseball fun.
And now for part two of the answer.  His celebrations can be possibly bad for the team and the game.  Reason being is that sometimes the dancing around is beyond the realm of good taste(sorry Mr. Pike).  Especially if the team is losing and he hits a home run, he dances in the dugout like he just saved the world.  I also believe that sometimes his celebrations motivate the other team.  To be honest, I really am surprised that someone hasn't thrown at him.  I don't in anyway condone intentionally hitting someone with the baseball, but the ultimate and easiest way for a pitcher to get even is to bean them with the ball.  I played baseball for almost 14 years, and I know when a pitcher wants you on the ground.  And I'm not the only one who feels this way about Reyes, just ask any Mets fan.
I don't want people to just stop celebrating achievements in the game but sometimes it's just unnecessary.  Like in football, after the running back gains 7 yards on a play and then is tackled, the linebacker gets up and starts doing a dance.  You're getting paid millions of dollars to play a game.  Just handle business and then when it really matters you can celebrate.  

And I know some people won't like this but I have to mention Joba Chamberlain.  He is also very emotional.  Like I said about Reyes, I don't mind it when it is in good taste and the moment means something.  Sometimes he comes off the mound after striking out a batter and it looks like he just struck out Mickey Mantle to win the World Series.  What he should be worried about is staying healthy and making his starts.  And can we please stop babying these pitchers.  The reason they have arm trouble is because they're only allowed to pitch on certain days with a certain number of pitches.  Give me a break. 

Well anyway, thats gonna do it... posted just before midnight...so it counts as Thursday!!

No comments: